January 24, 2010

Forest Spirit

This is a project I began on my summer holidays. Each year I like to take a week off and do something creative. That's just for me. Usually it's a doll conference where I take a couple classes and learn something new. This year I signed up for an online doll class with Marilyn Radzat.

It was a wonderful hat class. And knowing me, you know I had to make the doll first. I started three dolls that week.
A witch.... where I used mirror tile on her head... the project... sadly didn't turn out and went file 13.
An this is the second doll I'm attempting.

I wanted to use something from nature. SO that's were this doll went. My Forest Spirit is kind of ent-like, kind of brownie-like.
I used both paper clay and apoxie sculpt on this one.





Once I've given him his base coat. I started wrapping him in quilt batting, and adding his fabric skin.
I then add some more paint washes to the fabric and clay. Adding more detail to the face and hands.
Now I used E6000 to set the pine cone pieces to his head. I carefully washed the old sap off and pulled the pine cones apart. Then I apply them to the head circular rows.

He's not finished yet. I've still got lots of work to do.

3 comments:

DellaRae said...

He looks wonderful to me, finished or not!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Abi said...

He is looking fabulous Nancy ~ and I agree with DellaRae - first class even unfinished :O)

Thread Painting Cat Portrait