July 4, 2008

New Cloth doll wip "Carnivale"


I've been promising a marionette and what do I do? A cloth doll, well, I think I'm getting closer. I haven't made a cloth doll in a while, it's been polymer, apoxie, and puppets for a while now. I had an itch to costume extravagantly and that's how this one came about.

I was browsing some Venice Carnival photos on a website I stumbled on and started doing some drawings based on some pink and yellow striped silk fabric I bought on etsy. It was only a small remnant but I couldn't resist it! It's been sitting here trying to inspire me to do something with it for about 7 months now...lol and finally!

I didn't take a whole lot of photos of the process but you might be able to get the gist. If anyone has any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

When I costume I don't sew the clothes from a pattern, I pin and cut and sew directly on the doll. This means that none of the costume is removable...which is as it should be because my dolls are not play things. Which reminds me... if you haven't signed the petition to give doll artists a category on etsy PLEASE do so. Here's the petition.

3 comments:

AngelaMichelle said...

beautiful, littlebit! I used to live in Italy (Air Force family), & loved Venice. You really captured the spirit of Carnivale. Love the movement!

Shashi Nayagam said...

Can't wait to see it finished. You have captured the movement beautifully.

Cheryl said...

The pose and the doll are fabulous and those fabrics have me drooling...gotta go get a towel & clean up my keyboard. Can't wait to see it finished.

Thread Painting Cat Portrait