May 28, 2011

Davy's Busy Day More WIP

After the undercoat of navy, I've built up a green layer, looks kind of algae like now.  Actually the real thing looks better than the photos. This is  many slow layers of paint, and sponging away. It builds up in some spots more than others and gives it a more natural ageing appearance. Of course then I have to go back and shine up the bits I want to glimmer, like some gems and coins and pearls. It's looking better now, not so souvenir shoppy with all the shells. More old and undersea crusted like I imagined.
 As I said, not so much so in the photos.


Here you can see that I have to prop up my tentacles as I attach them to the head of the Kraaken. I decided to give them a quick and dirty under paint before attaching them because there would be no way I could do them justice once attached. That way I just need to paint the attachment bits and the head and touch up the tentacley bits once I get the head of the Kraaken underway.


I must say it's been a rather full day with this one. Only a short break for lunch, dinner and a sip or two of my favourite vintage before I was off and at 'em again. I'll let the piece set up over night and get cracken on the rest of my Kraaken... snort... I know... but come on who could resist the pun!

4 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Get kraaken with it so we can see the finished work:)

Canace said...

Wow... this is amazing....

Christine said...

It's looking wonderful so far. I can't wait to see the finished piece. Your tentacles look great how you "dirtied" them.

Uhooi said...

Uhooi,,
Wow,, It's an amazing, creative and good,,

Uhooi.blogspot.com